


I grew up in Cornwall-on-the-Hudson, NY, five miles north of the US Military Academy at West Point. When I lived in Cornwall, we lived at 8 Idlewild, while the Marsh's lived at 6 and the Lukaciks lived at 7.
In 1965, when I was 9, Connie Marsh, the mom of the Marsh family, broke her leg. Her husband, Cliff, was a physician, and they decided to build a pool in their backyard so Connie could have therapy. And the pool did get used--by the neighborhood kids! Connie sat by the pool with the other mom's and played games and cards. At suppertime, it was not unusual for everyone to bring what they were planning for dinner and we'd have a neighborhood potluck. The bottom line was... I generally spent at least as many waking hours during the day at the Marshes as I did at my own home.
In 1974, my family moved away from Cornwall. The Marsh children grew up and moved away--to New Hamphire, California, and Arizona. Cliff passed away about 1977, and Connie moved from Idlewild to Cliff's office building in town.
Last summer, Connie passed away, having moved to Arizona about six months prior. She was, I believe, 80 when she died.
This past weekend, a memorial service was held for Connie down by the river in Cornwall. The Marsh children came from around the country, the Lukaciks were there, as well as my mom, my brother and me. It was a special time to reconnect with childhood friends who had a significant impact on my life as well as to say goodbye to a dear friend and a generous woman. My decision to go was rather impetuous--I decided on Thursday to go on Friday--but I'm so glad I did. I have no regrets.
No comments:
Post a Comment