Saturday, June 16, 2007

Pedalling around Wheaton

I mentioned a month or so ago that I received a new bicycle for Christmas. It's considered a hybrid road/recreational bike; the model is a Giant Cyress. I really, really, really, really like my new bike.

It's become my commute to work. I ride it to the library. I ride to Jewel to get small grocery purchases. Last night, we rode as a family to Northside pool. I find riding my bike to be restful and relaxing. Normally, I exercise because I know I should, not because I enjoy it. (I enjoy the books I read while I'm on the treadmill at the gym!) But I am thoroughly enjoying my new bike.

In the same vein, Abby has been outgrowing her 20" bike. As a rule, children's 20" bikes have coaster (pedal) brakes and one hand brake. She got her early birthday gift--a new bike--this week. We debated between a 24" and a 26" bike. Both looked good, though the 26" looked a bit like too much bike for her right now. The final cost-benefit analysis came down to a new bike is less expensive than a trip to the emergency room and the 24" bike won.

At 24", children's bikes have hand brakes only and gears. Abby also got a new bike helmet as she gets used to those new brakes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love biking too! I'd love to see your bike, it sounds nice. I have a lovely WalMart bike. It's dreeeeamy! Not really.